Skip to content

Frequently Asked Questions

What is an I-20?
The I-20 is a multi-purpose document issued by a U.S. government-approved educational institution certifying that a student has been admitted to a full-time study program and that the student has demonstrated sufficient financial resources to stay in the U.S. The I-20 is officially titled the “Certificate of Eligibility” because it allows an individual to apply for an F-1 student visa at a U.S. Embassy or Consulate abroad.
What is the SEVIS fee and how do I pay it?
All F-1 visa applicants are required to pay the one-time SEVIS I-901 fee of $200. The purpose of the fee is to help cover the administration and maintenance costs of the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS).

Pay here.

What are the required documents to obtain an I-20?
  • Copy of your passport
  • Declaration of Finances Form
  • An official original bank statement showing the amount indicated for your program in the declaration of finances

If you are transferring your SEVIS record, you must also submit the following documents:

  • A completed Transfer Clearance Form (TC)
  • Copies of all previous Form I-20's
  • Copies of all previous U.S. visas A copy of your I-94 (arrival/Departure Record)
Where to submit the documents for the I-20?
Please submit all completed forms and supporting documents by uploading them here in the ISSS portal When is the deadline to submit documents for the I-20? December 1st (outside the US) and January 29th (inside the US transfers & change of level).
How do I apply for the visa?
Step 1: Submit your visa application

Step 2: Schedule an interview at your local embassy or consular.

Step 3: Prepare and attend your visa interview

For more detailed information click here!.


How do apply for the change of status to become an F-1 student?
Click here for the information.
How do I register for classes?
How many credits do I need to register for?
An F-1 student must maintain a full course load each term, 12 credits for undergraduate students and 9 credits for graduate students unless authorized for a reduced course load by the International Student Advisor. Acceptable reasons for reduced course load includes:
  • Students who experience academic difficulties (for example, unfamiliarity with American teaching methods) may take a reduced credit load, but only in the first semester of their studies in the United States.
  • Students in their final term of study. Such students need only to register for the credit hours required to complete the degree. If this means that a student will be registered part-time, a reduced course load form needs to be signed by the student’s Academic Advisor and brought to an International Student Advisor.
  • Students who have a medical issue. This requires medical documentation signed by the student’s physician recommending a reduction in course load and what specifically that reduction should be. Prior authorization is required for this situation as well.
How many online courses can I take?
F-1 students may not use more than 3 credits of online or distance course work to count toward your full-time status each semester. (No more than 3 of 12 credits as an undergraduate and no more than 3 of 9 credits as a graduate student) <
How can I know who my academic advisor is?
You can find your academic advisor on Marynet under the MyMUPlan section. If the academic advisor doesn't show on your MyMUPlan, contact your school.
Can I take courses outside Marymount?
Yes, you can take courses outside of Marymount. In order to do that, you must get permission from the International Student Advisor (ISA) and your academic department before you take any coursework outside Marymount University (MU). When you are authorized to take courses in another institution, you must provide proof of enrollment and a copy of transcripts of the course as evidence that you maintained your full-time enrollment.
How do I pay my bill?
Students can access their statements and pay their tuition through our Online Billing site. Simply log in to Marynet for Students and click "View my eBill" or "Make Payments". Click here for more information.
What if I have my records in my own language for the medical records?
The medical documents must be translated into English.
I am looking for an on-campus job. How can I get one?
You can log into "Workday" with your credentials from the MU portal and search for "career section and Marymount student job." There are several jobs listed there throughout the year. Each job posting comes with the details of the application process and requirements.

Other on-campus employment includes Sodexo Dining Services and the Bookstore on campus. Please check with those individual offices for their job applications.

Interested students are encouraged to apply early.