Skip to content

F-1: On Campus Employment

On Campus employment is available to all international students, including those who are in their first semester. You can find on campus positions listed on the Jobs on Campus website.

What is considered On Campus Employment?
There are two types of employment that count as on campus employment:
  • On the school premises
    • Work that takes place at your school location could be for an on-campus commercial business, like a bookstore or cafeteria, as long as the work directly provides services for students.
    • Employment located on-campus that does not directly involve services to students (such as construction work) does not qualify as on-campus employment.
      • The Starbucks at the Ballston campus is not valid on campus employment.
  • Educationally affiliated off-campus location
    • Work with an employer that is contractually affiliated with the school is on-campus employment even if the work site is not located on the campus (such as a research lab affiliated with your school).

Students on F-1 visas do not need to seek special permission to work on campus.
Students on J-1 visas will need to seek special permission to work on campus before starting any on campus employment.
Hours Permitted

All international students can work no more than 20 hours per week, except during office school breaks, such as summer break, winter break, and spring break.  During school breaks, you may work more than 20 hours per week.

Social Security Number
If you are given an on-campus opportunity, you may request a Social Security Number (SSN). To receive a SSN, you will need to request a letter from our office through our SSN Letter Request Form. This form will require you to upload your employment offer letter in order for us to issue you the letter. To read more about how to request this letter, please visit our Letter Requests web page.