F-1 visa: Application Process
Once you have been issued your I-20 and have your SEVIS ID number, you are eligible to apply for your F-1 visa. The F-1 visa application process consists of a visa interview and paying a SEVIS fee.
Step One: Pay SEVIS Fee
Prior to your visa interview, you will need to pay your SEVIS Fee of $350 USD. Click here to complete your I-901 form and pay your SEVIS fee (click on Pay I-901 on the top right). Make sure to fill out all the information exactly as it is written on your I-20. Additionally, we encourage you to print a copy of your receipt.
Step Two: Complete the DS-160
Before booking your Visa appointment, you must complete the visa application form (DS-160). Please note that the information you need to complete this application form can be found on Page 1 of your I-20.
Marymount University's SEVIS Code is WAS214F00223000.
See an example DS-160 for F-1 students!
Step Three: Schedule your Visa appointment
To schedule your visa interview, please contact your local U.S. Embassy or Consulate.
For a list of the current estimated visa appointment wait times, please click here. You will be following the student/exchange row.
* Note that you may not receive a U.S. visa from 120 days to 365 days before the reporting date on your I-20/DS-2019.
* Citizens of Canada and Bermuda do not require visas to enter the United States as students, although they must pay the SEVIS fee and present a valid Form I-20 at the time of admission. For more information see information for Citizens of Canada and Bermuda.
Step Four: Gather documents to present at your visa interview.
- Completed visa application form (DS-160)
- Form I-20
- Passport (valid at least 6 months into the future)
- Letter of Admission to Marymount
- Financial Documents (financial guarantee, scholarship awards, bank statements, etc.)
- SEVIS fee receipt from www.FMJfee.com
- Evidence to prove intent to return to your home country upon completion of studies
- For dependents applying for an F-2/J-2 visa: bring your marriage certificate and/or children’s birth certificate confirming your relationship.
In addition, be prepared to respond to questions related to:
- Your financial status.
- Your plan of studies and your English language abilities
- Your future goals to apply for your degree
- Temporary desire to stay in the US and plans to return to your home country.
Additional Resource: Argo Visa
Marymount University has partnered with Argo Visa for students who feel they may need additional assistance in preparing for their F-1 visa interview.
Argo Visa offers a free Visa Check-up designed by former consular officers to score your chances at passing a visa interview.
In addition, Argo Visa offers paid consultations that you can book if you feel you need additional preparation. To book a consultation, please visit the Argo Visa website.